Hal,

There's nothing wrong with stripes over stripes. I've referred to this as
braiding in the past.

With a good pre-fetch algorithm the storage uses the parallelism of the
striped arrays to feed the cache in large block requests from many disks,
and in turn the RAID-0 dataset can feed the sequential read process by
pre-fetching from many concurrent volumes and paths.

Braiding is a good thing. It is heavily used in UNIX land, Not so common on
Windows, and unfortunately (for some unknown reason) strangely rare in MVS.

Ron