Hal,

What operating system are you using? The z/OS I use reads multiple blocks
per start sub-channel so that blocks are pre-fetched into buffers ahead of
the program request.

For sequential caching algorithms, in HDS anyway, having two jobs reading
the same dataset does not mean the trailing job will get cache hits. That
implies that sequential IO is "walking" the cache - this is very bad.
Sequential reads are assigned a pre-fetch area in cache that is re-used by
the sequential pre-fetch algorithm.

This prevents cache walking, but it also means that most sequential read
processes are doing their own pre-fetch reads from disk. Even if they are
reading from the same volume or dataset. There are some exceptions to this
when there are two sequences of sequential reads in the same general area,
but this is an extraordinary situation.

For chained writes, a similar explanation except it is the parity generation
and destage process that are optimized when sequential writes are detected.

Note that detection can be through a bit setting in the channel command, or
access pattern detection.

I don't think you are really doing sequential IO one block at a time, except
perhaps for VSAM using default BUFSP.

Ron