You mean a 'new' technology like this reference?

VMSHARE has been the conferencing system of the VM Cluster of SHARE since
August 1976. After VMSHARE was closed down in August 1998 it was decided
that the database should be kept available for reference. Read here the
announcement of that by Ross Patterson.
The best way to get a feeling for what VMSHARE meant to its users is
probably by browsing through the VMSHARE Archives where you will find
appends like this.
It may also be helpful to read Melinda Varian's History of VM to get a
better understanding of the community that has developed around VM and VMSHARE.

http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/

Daney, C., The VMSHARE Computer Conferencing Facility. In Computer Message
Systems, ed. by Ronald P. Uhlig, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982, 115-127.

/Tom Kern