IIRC, IBM has stated that an opcode of x'00' will __never__ be valid and
will __always__ produce a program check interrupt code 1 (S0C1 in
MVS-speak).

I always use the S0C3 method as it is guaranteed by the Principles of
Operation to do this. However, I had a friend at another shop do this.
He got a royal dressing down by the lead sysprog because he (the
sysprog) had decided that the S0C3 abend was his alone and had placed a
SLIP in COMMNDnn to take SVC dumps on every S0C3 to debug __his__
programs.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.