In z/OS R9 the Binder rejects request to write to a PDS that has
non-RECFM U, unless RECFM=U is explicitly overriden.  This behavior now
matches the behavior for PDSEs.  So if you try to link into your JCL PDS
you won't damage it.

z/OS V1 R9 BINDER     14:48:52 TUESDAY JULY  8, 2008

BATCH EMULATOR  JOB(DSS06ZSK) STEP(JS002   ) PGM= IEWL      PROCEDURE(L
)
IEW2278I B352 INVOCATION PARAMETERS - NORENT

IEW2735S DA0F OUTPUT DATA SET FOR DDNAME SYSLMOD HAS INVALID RECORD
FORMAT.  RECFM=U IS REQUIRED.
IEW2008I 0F03 PROCESSING COMPLETED.  RETURN CODE =  12.

Very Nice!

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                System z Performance and Availability Management
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                (office)  301.986.3574

"Think big, act bold, start simple, grow fast..."

This email/fax message is for the sole use of the intended
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this
email/fax is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
destroy all paper and electronic copies of the original message.