On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 20:43:03 -0700, John Mattson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>        There has been some talk about changing JCL interpretation.  Sure
>it is old, and ugly, but we are used to it, and it does "work".  Here is
>what happened going from os390 to zos 1.08
>
>        Somewhere between OS390 2.10 (our old system) and zos 1.08 (our
>new system) the JCL interpreter changed.  Here is a simplified example of
>some JCL we have been running for years.
>//AFITJLMU JOB CLASS=S,MSGCLASS=X,TYPRUN=SCAN
>//UNVTEST  PROC
>//PS001   EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
>//REMOTE   DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE
>//SYSIN    DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=QALC.UNVLIB
>//MYSCRIPT DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=QALC.UNVLIB
>//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
>//        PEND ---------------------
>//*
>//JS001   EXEC PROC=UNVTEST
>//MYSCRIPT DD  *
> WHATEVER
>/*
> WHEREEVER
>/*
>   Note the Extra "sysin" which the programmer left there in case he ever
>needed it again, soft of "self documenting.  Worked just fine... until zOS
>1.08
>
>    Here is how OS390 2.10 handles the GENERATED SYSIN
>//JS001   EXEC PROC=UNVTEST
>++UNVTEST  PROC
>++PS001   EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
>++REMOTE   DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE
>++SYSIN    DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=QALC.UNVLIB
>//MYSCRIPT DD  *
>+/MYSCRIPT DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=QALC.UNVLIB
>++SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
>//SYSIN     DD *               GENERATED STATEMENT
>

>    Here is how zOS 1.08 handles the GENERATED SYSIN
>
>4 ++UNVTEST  PROC
>5 ++PS001   EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
>6 ++REMOTE   DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=MSYS.UCMD.REMOTE
>7 //SYSIN     DD *               GENERATED STATEMENT
>  +/SYSIN    DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=QALC.UNVLIB
>8 //MYSCRIPT DD  *
>  +/MYSCRIPT DD  DISP=SHR,DSN=QALC.UNVLIB
>9 ++SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
>
>        The os390 way, the JCL works.  zOS 1.8 it gets the old "WHEREVER"
>junk in the sysin dd and fails. Sigh.
>        Notice that zos 1.08 neatly lines up the sysin from way down at
>the bottom with the existing SYSIN.  Perfect example of a program being
>"TOO HELPFUL".  It wasn't broke, why did you "fix" it.
>    So, is this a "bug" or "working as designed"?  Or maybe there is an
>option somewhere that I can change and have it work the way it used to.
>MUCH better than changing hundreds of pieces of JCL. Really.

 APAR Identifier ...... OA12842      Last Changed ........ 08/06/10
  PROC DD STMTS OVERRIDEN BY DD * INCORROUT CONTENTS OF FILES
  SWAPPED ( OA05951 )

  Symptom ...... IN INCORROUT         Status ........... CLOSED  UR3
  Severity ................... 2      Date Closed ......... 06/04/13
  Component .......... 5752SC1B9      Duplicate of ........
  Reported Release ......... 709      Fixed Release ............ 708
  Component Name 5752 CNVRTR/INT      Special Notice
  Current Target Date ..06/04/15      Flags
  SCP ...................
  Platform ............

  Status Detail: APARCLOSURE - APAR is being closed.

  PE PTF List:

  PTF List:
  Release 708   : No PTF planned
  Release 709   : No PTF planned
  Release 720   : No PTF planned
  Release 730   : No PTF planned

  Parent APAR:
  Child APAR list:

  ERROR DESCRIPTION:
       When DD statements within a procedure are overridden with
  instream data (DD * or DD DATA), the data within the data sets
  represented by those input stream DD statements may be swapped
  (exchanged) if the overriding DDs are not in the correct order;
  that is, in the order in which the overridden stmts appear in
  the procedure.
       This can happen because the MVS Converter may reverse the
  sequence of two or more instream DD stmts with respect to each
  other, but the data within the files referenced by those DD
  stmts does not move along with the DD stmts themselves.
       Running the same JCL in R707, the out of sequence instream
  DD statements were simply ignored.

       This issue was previously reported in OA05951, which was
  closed SUG.

  Additional Symptoms:
       IEF655I INVALID DSNAME SPECIFIED WHEN SYSIN OR SYSOUT
               SPECIFIED (msgIEF655I)
  May occur if a SYSIN DD * statement is GENERATED and now
  properly finds and overrides a SYSIN DD DSN= statement.

  Additional Keywords:
       SYSIN reversed reversal, asterisk, instream

--
Mark Zelden
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]