Sorry am I late into this thread and this may have already been offered.

Would the use of the SET Statement in JCL also be a solution?

//  SET P1='abc/def/ghi  -sh'
//  SET P2='continue away'
//STEP1 EXEC  PGM=IEFBR14,PARM=(PARM1,'&P1&P1')

I would think that so long as the concatenated &P1&P2 etc...  does not
exceed 100 characters, that this also might work.

I use this technique with BPXBATCH because I like simple solutions.  It also
makes it easier when I have redundancy in the parms for multiple executions.

Lizette