> > I was asked by a customer if there is a standard IBM mainframe power
> switch lock.
> > I checked and there is no such lock. I wonder how do you protect
your
> mainframe
> > power switches other then access control to the computer room.
>
> I agree with Kees. A lock would be contradictory to the purpose of the
> switch.
> Does the customer also want a lock on the main 'computer floor
emergency
> power off' switch?
>
> Access to the computer floor should be restricted and people who enter
> should be registered and be knowledgeable enough to know not to touch
> the switch unless it's an emergency.
> And if there is an emergency, e.g. someone is being electrocuted, you
> don't want a procedure to request a key from someone outside the
> computerfloor.
>

> --
> Maarten Slegtenhorst

In a past life I was at a company that had the exit door button and the
emergency power off button too close together - one above the other.
One day an IBM maintenance man who was leaving the computer room
accidentally hit the wrong button.  The next day the emergency power off
button was moved higher and a hinged cover was put over it, but it
wasn't locked.  As has already been said, you don't want to be looking
for a key if you really need that emergency power off button, but it
does need to be protected from accidental activation.  Believe me, what
occurred after it was hit was not pretty.

Tom Kelman

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.