I'm a small shop (1 CEC, 4 LPARs + Sandbox) so life is a little easier.

Major changes a Sysprog is on site to (at least) verify the changes were
correct.

Sysprog handles all updates to the HMC (we don't use dynamic IPL parm
changes) we just update the LOAD profile as needed (maybe once a year).

Operators handle all IPL's (really just an Activate).  We limited the
exposure of multiple LPARs being selected by creating a separate Group
on the HMC for each LPAR (a group of one).  You can't select multiple
groups at a time.
Operators instructed to stay away from 'All CPC' and 'All Images'.

I would prefer an 'enlightened' operator but realistically there is not
enough activity to get the experience.  You can't really 'play' with a
production CEC and we have little to no need to do anything other than
Activate/System Reset.

IPL is mostly handled by automation (starting the various tasks) and
even automation to tell you what didn't automatically come up!

Even have a PFK set up the respond WARM,NOREQ to JES (yet I still got
called in one weekend because of a manual reply of WAR,NOREC).

Back in the day (before most IPL prompts eliminated we had a PFK set up
with stacked responses.  Instructions were 'When the console beeps, hit
PF1 and enter, next beep hit enter, repeat until no more beeps'.  Had
some fun IPL'ing with my back turned to the console to prove it worked
and was better than keying in the responses.  Not that they couldn't but
finger checks would occasionally creep up at the wrong time with a call
at zero dark thirty for an answer to a never before seen message.

Ken Porowski
AVP Systems Software
CIT Group
E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]