I saw only the one problem:

>>We have had many instances of wrong lpars being deactivated and then
>>ipled incorrectly, changes to ipl environments not being applied
>>correctly...

I've also seen that even with trained, experienced operators to include
myself. Training and experience go a long way, but what about when it is
not enough?

You rework the process. Tough love, some pain, whatever it takes.

To answer your question: yes. At least in our tiny shop, the sysprogs do
the rare IPL. YMMV

If you want to reduce the operator error potential/rate, reduce the
number of keystrokes/clicks. Whatever it takes to do that. Not reduce
responsibilities mind you, just keystrokes/clicks.