R.S. wrote:
David Crayford wrote:
[...]
15 years ago I worked on one of the first mainframe DB2 data warehouse systems in the UK. We used SP2 AIX boxes for the mining, and they were very quick back then. I suppose it all depends on the z10 and how IBM prices them...

They seem to be making an effort to bring to TCO down.
Well, at risk of going to new war I disagree. <g>
I don't see too much effort.
0.9 MSU is good thing to compete with second hand market.

Crossed wires me thinks! I was talking about z/Linux. IBM are giving away z/VM if you have a z10 and only want to run linux. I haven't done the math but that could make it a very competitive platform.

The z10 looks very good on paper, a speed demon. It needs to be, the current crop of high end *nix boxes are fast and reliable. IBM don't release bench-marketing like TPC for the mainframe so it's difficult to compare the platforms. All we have is stuff like this http://www.itjungle.com/big/big110706-story01-fig01.html.

It's pretty sad when the mainframes biggest iron is getting smashed by wintel...

The only thing I could consider as the effort are software tools, especially "must have" ones. IBM develops (or buys) many various tools IMHO not only to compete with large ISVs, but also to give customers real choice. Is CA-1 too expensive? Then choose RMM. Competition means lower prices even for those who stay with CA, BMC, others products.

We went far off original topic (but still about mainframes)