-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of John McKown
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2009 4:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: the Z/10 and timers.

<SNIP>

Now, I somewhat understand why. Timing on the z/OS platform is a
critical
resource. On Windows and Linux, it is a bit of "ah, who cares?". z/OS
will
die if a clock runs backwards. This is so ingrained in the software that
doubt it can every be "fixed". Not so on any other platform that I'm
aware of.

<SNIP>

It ain't broken.

Way back when, one of the things that made most of us not trust any data
that came from a system that did not have a "hard clock" was that anyone
could reset the time and date.

If you remember correctly, the autoexec.bat file had TIME & DATE
commands in it so that DOS would not ask you for the date and time when
you booted the system. And this was a carry over from CP/M's lack of a
need for a stable TOD.

While working in Silicon Valley in the '90s, I had someone tell me that
mainframes can't operate in a tightly coupled environment (and they
weren't joking -- the poor guy who said this worked in Milpitas with a
company that was trying to get 2 80386 CPUs to work together on the same
motherboard). I looked at him and said that the S/370 had machines with
2 CPUs sharing 16MB of memory, besides having as many as 32 I/O ONLY
CPUs operating on that same memory. And then there were the complexes
that had 8 of these machines tied to each other. The look of
astonishment was priceless.

The point to this is, all of those mainframe systems lived or died based
on them being in synchronization. And you can't have a clock running
backwards -- that would get a Machine Check for failed timing facility.
I don't think Intel, AMD or Motorola (a la 6800 or 68000 chips from when
I worked with them) has an equivalent.

Time only goes forward by definition (look at the Principles of
Operation).

This is why time change on a mainframe (S/360-30 & beyond?) took pushing
a button (or flipping a switch) before you could change the TOD. You
were being required to do this as an on purpose thing, not an accident
with someone playing around with the time commands or instructions.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster are not necessarily those of
poster's employer and should not necessarily be construed as such. --