2009/5/28 Richards, Robert B. <robert.richa...@opm.gov>

> Does anyone have any REXX code to grab "English description" FMID table
> entries out of GIM.SGIMTENU's BCNFMDS member by passing it the FMID in
> question?

> I am writing some code to parse information from the ERROR SYSMODS
> Report and want to provide the reader with ICKDSF instead of EDU1H01, et
> al. I looked at the various SMP/E LIST commands, but parsing any one of
> those reports seems to be overkill for my purposes.

> Kurt Q, feel free to jump in here and tell me that it is possible run
> some report that just provides these two pieces of information. I looked
> in the archives and see that others have cut and paste some of this info
> from web pages or have their own lists, but am looking for something
> that would be automatically updated based on my product set.

> Other suggestions are also welcome! :-)

It looks like a set of ordinary ISPF tables... I mean, you can go into
Dialog Test, browse the table, and find entries by FMID

               Display row   Table BCNFMDS   row 4                  Row
found
Command ===>                                             Scroll ===> CSR

Variable   T  A   Value

FMID       K      EDU1H01

FMIDDESC   N      ICKDSF - Device Support Facili

FMWRK1     N

so presumably you can call the ISPF table services from REXX to do the same.
Just TBOPEN and TBGET, I think. But perhaps this part is obvious, and I'm
not understanding the real point of your question. Do you need to do this
without having access to ISPF services? In that case, you could prepopulate
a dataset in some format of your own choosing from the ISPF tables, and then
scan it directly in REXX.

The IBM PMA download at ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/s390/pma/bcnitenu.bin has
the whole thing (30+ MB) already in the ISPF table format, but you could
even download and parse that on the fly if you need extreme currency, I
suppose.

Tony H.