Protocol 2, Port 10022

I look forward to your response.

Thank You.

Len Sasso

RDC Operations - Systems Administrator
CSC
Information Technology Infrastructure Services (ITIS)
| p: 518.257-4209 | m: 518.894-0879 | f: 518.257-4300 | lsa...@csc.com |
www.csc.com

delivery.
purpose.

Kirk Wolf <k...@dovetail.com>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
07/16/2009 10:19 AM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
cc

Subject
Re: z/OS Mainframe - SFTP - Disable Publickey Authentication and only use
Password?

Its shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

What port are they using?  21 - FTP, 990 - FTPS,  22 - ssh, etc.
Another alternative is to telnet into the port and press enter... you
wil usually see something that hints at the protocol.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Hal Merritt<hmerr...@jackhenry.com>
wrote:
> Problem is that we don't actually know what is on the far end. We are
only assuming/speculating that ssh is the vehicle. Further, we don't know
the precise flavor of server software in use on the far end.

> Had a partner site that was 100% positive that they were using ssh. Not
only were they actually using TLS, but the server software claimed to be
RFC compliant but actually only worked with Windows clients.

> I think we all agree that the statement that "... they don't require any
authentication of keys..." doesn't compute.

> A puzzlement :-)

Behalf Of Kirk Wolf
> Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:04 PM
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Subject: Re: z/OS Mainframe - SFTP - Disable Publickey Authentication
and only use Password?

> ssh (used by sftp) won't work unless *host* keys are exchanged when
> the session is setup.  The client has a little database of known host
> keys and will fail if the server has a different key.  A configuration
> option allows the OpenSSH client to accept a new host key
> automatically, otherwise a interactive user is required to acknowledge
> acceptance.
>
> User authentication can be done in a number of ways, including keys
> and password.  The password is *never* sent in the clear.
>
> Kirk Wolf
> Dovetailed Technologies
> http://dovetail.com
>
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Hal Merritt<hmerr...@jackhenry.com>
wrote:
>> They may not but the protocol does. That's the way it works.
>>
>> There's something missing. Maybe they accept FTP in the clear, using
only an ID and password.

Behalf Of Leonard Sasso
>> Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 11:59 AM
>> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>> Subject: Re: z/OS Mainframe - SFTP - Disable Publickey Authentication
and only use Password?

>> The external site (CMS) has informed us they don't require any
>> authentication of keys (public and private).
>>
>> Thank You.
>>
>> Len Sasso
>>

>> RDC Operations - Systems Administrator
>> CSC
>> Information Technology Infrastructure Services (ITIS)
>> | p: 518.257-4209 | m: 518.894-0879 | f: 518.257-4300 | lsa...@csc.com
|
>> www.csc.com
>>
>> This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient,
please
>> delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in
>> delivery.
>> NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC
>> any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written
agreement
>> or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for
such
>> purpose.
>>

>> Bill Godfrey <yak36...@yahoo.com>
>> Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
>> 07/15/2009 10:56 AM
>> Please respond to
>> IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

>> IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>> cc
>>
>> Subject
>> Re: z/OS Mainframe - SFTP - Disable Publickey Authentication and only
use
>> Password?
>>

>> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:52:17 -0400, Leonard Sasso wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Mainframe Batch Job executing the BPXBATCH program to invoke
>> SFTP
>>>to transfer a file to an external site.
>>>
>>>The external site does not require any Authentication.
>>>
>>>How do I Disable the Publickey Authentication and only use the
Password?