You went on a OCO rant without answering my question. I looked in the POPs manual and found the two differences between the use of ESAR and ESAIR -

* In the EXTRACT SECONDARY ASN AND INSTANCE operation, the SASTEIN, bits 0-31 of control register 3, is placed in bit positions 0-31 of general register Rx. In the EXTRACT SECONDARY ASN operation, bits 0-31 of general register Rx remain unchanged.

    * Operation exception (if the ASN-and-LX-reuse facility is not
installed, ESAIR only)

The second is only an issue if the minimum support level for DB2 and MQ is machines without that feature - Otherwise it is a non-issue. Just adding a check to the launch modules to test for the feature would not work since a negative result would need to not have the change made to the code. Hopefully all the machines you run the code on would have the feature OR you could add the requirement to the new version that has the ESAIR code.

As to the first difference, does the high byte of register Rx (the referenced register in the instruction) affect the code? - IOW: Do you look at it or just use the result as supplied independent of if it came from a ESAR or ESAIR?

Only once these questions get answered does the issue of OCO come into play since we have no access to the code to look at. It is my contention that so long as I can swap a ESAR with a ESAIR (and know that the ESAIR is supported) then just doing a mass replacement of ESARs with ESAIRs should be doable with minimal effort.

Just use ISPF and concatenate the library with the source code behind an empty PDS (or PDSE). Do a mass find/replace on that concatenation and any member that uses the ESAR command with end up in the empty PDS with ESAIR commands being used. Compile that, convert the object decks into a SYSMODs, and feed it to SMPE and you have an upgraded version of the load modules.

I know the above is simplistic but it amounts to a good model of the sequence of steps that would be needed.