__________________

We have seen massive savings - primarily in wall-clock savings -  but from
what I understand (2nd and 3rd hand):

3490s have a max blksize of 64k; 3590s have a max blksize of 256K
If you use virtual tapes - make sure the virtual tapes are defined as
3590s to get the best LBI benefit

<SNIPPAGE>

Please forgive me but I am having issues with my email system, so headers
got lost.

At any rate, at 1.12 the DEVTYPE (I think that was the macro) gets updated
to allow 3490s to go LBI at 256K blocks.

If you are running Connect:Direct for z/OS, you will need the equivalent
PTF.

Certain ISV software may not handle the change from 65K max blksize for
the 3490s.

Be careful if you are going to have one system at 1.12 (or greater) and
another system below 1.12, because you will run into problems with the
lower system reading the tapes.

There are exits for the 1.12 level in handling this. Look at the ADRDSSU
manuals with regards to those exits.

Regards,
Steve Thompson
Connect:Direct for z/OS