l...@garlic.com (Anne & Lynn Wheeler) writes:
> oops, late 80s is 25yrs ago ... not 35yrs ... finger slip.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012m.html#2 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012m.html#3 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012m.html#4 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012m.html#5 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee

but this was 35yrs ago ... they use to let me wander around bldg 14&15
(disk engineering and disk product test) and let me play disk
engineer. at the time, the machine rooms had lots of mainframes and
"testcells" (individual secured wire cages ... additional layer of
security inside machine rooms). They were scheduling the mainframes for
stand-alone, dedicated, individual testing at a time, 7x24. They had
attempted to use MVS for concurrent testing but found (in that
environment), MVS had 15min MTBF hang/failure requiring manual re-ipl. I
offerred to rewrite i/o supervisor making it absolute bullet-proof and
never fail (allowing for arbitrary, concurrent, on-demand/unscheduled
testing, greatly improvement productivity)

a lot of 370xa ssch justification was to compensate for the horrible
performance penalty in the MVS interrupt processing pathlength ... along
with lost thruput because of long delay it took to redrive a device
(with queued request) after taking interrupt. Part of bullet-proof,
never fail I/O supervisor, I thought I would also demonstrate the
absolute minimum, optimized, pathlength for interrupt & device I/O
redrive (while at the same time not sacrificing any ras &/or integrity)
... showing that the case for ssch could be significantly reduced
... except for the enormous overhead in MVS.

The first time they put engineering 3880 into production use with 16
3330 drives and live load ... the superfast redrive turned up some
performance issues with the 3880 implementation. They couldn't fix all
the performance issues ... but attempted to at least mask some of the
issues (as I previously mentioned the slow processor in 3880
significantly drove up channel busy to perform any operation). The
engineers hated having to use the slow processor ... making snide
remarks about some bean-counter in the executive ranks thought it might
save a few pennies. recent post mentioning high 3880 channel busy
required significant increase in 3090 channels
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#30 X86 server

I then wrote up a (internal only) report on the work, describing how to
make a bullet-proof, never-fail I/O supervisor ... but also happened to
mention the MVS 15min MTBF. This brought down the wrath of the MVS
organization on my head (they would of had me fired if they could figure
out how to do it), which would linger on for the rest of my time at IBM.

Note that just prior to 3880 customer ship ... field engineering had
regression error test cases that would result in requiring reipl of MVS
and in 2/3rds of the cases not even recording cause of the failure. old
email reference:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#email801015
in this post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#2 The Elements of Programming Style

misc. past posts about getting to play disk engineer in bldgs. 14&15
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#disk