glen herrmannsfeldt <g...@ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:
> For unix/dos/windows file systems, though, there needs to be a disk
> cache where FBA blocks are brought into memory and the appropriate
> bytes copied to user space. Now, the caching ability of that likely
> helps much of the time, but it isn't so different from what CKD
> emulation has to do.

in some sense FICON initially cripples fibre channel back to ESCON
paradigm that just happens to have faster data transfer rate (but still
looses enormous aggregate throughput compared to base fibre channel).

31k IOPS here
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/common/ssi/sa/wh/n/zsw03059usen/ZSW03059USEN.PDF

this has z/os max. z196 with peak of 2m IOPS
ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/en/zsw03169usen/ZSW03169USEN.PDF

zHPF (w/TCW, transport control word) adds layer on top of FICON that
somewhat attempts to approach underlying fibre channel thruput
... reaching 92k IOPS ... by transmitting multiple CCWs in single
transmission for remote execution ... something I had done in 1980 for
STL lab. when remoting 300 people from the IMS group to offsite bldg (as
channel extender using some HYPERChannel from NSC (attempting to get the
support released in 1980 was blocked by the POK group that was playing
with fiber optic stuff that would eventually be released as ESCON).

Article claims 2m IOPS for maxed out z196 ... with theoritical peak of
2.2M SSCH running all 14 system assist processors at 100% utilization)
and 104 FICON channels to 11 storage subsystems ... but recommends that
system assist processor utilization should be kept to 70% or below (aka
1.5M SSCH).

this claims for e5-2600, latest emulex delivers over one million IOPS
on a single channel
http://www.emulex.com/artifacts/0c1f55d0-aec6-4c37-bc42-7765d5d7a70e/elx_wp_all_hba_romley.pdf

from (linkedin) Enterprise Systems discussion: Still think the mainframe
is going away soon: Think again. IBM mainframe computer sales are 4% of
IBM's revenue; with software, services, and storage it's 25%
http://lnkd.in/mjYX6H

A fully configured max z196 with 80processors goes for $28M and has
processor rating of 50BIPS. The 4% for mainframe hardware but 25% total
(including software, services, storage), implies multiplier of 25/4 for
total cost to customer; i.e. for $28M z196 is $175M ($3.5M/BIPS). IBM
has base list price of $1815 for e5-2600 blade which have ratings of
527BIPS ($3.44/BIPS)

past posts in this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012l.html#56 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee