l...@garlic.com (Anne & Lynn Wheeler) writes:
> oops, late 80s is 25yrs ago ... not 35yrs ... finger slip.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012m.html#2 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012m.html#3 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012m.html#4 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012m.html#5 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012m.html#6 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012m.html#7 Blades versus z was Re: Turn Off
Another Light - Univ. of Tennessee

almost 35yrs ... almost totally unrelated ... I did CCW batch download
implementation in 1980 (although the hardware I was using was from a
couple years earlier, making it 35yrs) ... predating the fibre channel
stuff in the late 80s ... and the zHPF/TCW last decade.

thorton and cray had done cdc6600 ... cray left to form cray research
and thorton left to form network systems (makers of hyperchannel).

1980 they had filled up STL (now called silicon valley lab) and were
moving 300 from the IMS group to offsite building. They had been offered
remote 3270 support back to mainframe in the STL datacenter ... but they
found remote 3270 human factors intolerable (they were used to CMS
response with local channel attach 3270 controllers).

NSC HYPERChannel channel extender was suggested and I was con'ed into
doing the software support. A220 channel adapter (connected to local
mainframe channel) connected to A710 to telco adapter that went over
channel on the local corporate campus (T3) microwave system to the main
plant site and then (T1) microwave circuit to the roof of the offsite
building which had the other A710 with connections to three A510s. The
A510s simulated mainframe channels which is where the local channel
attached 3270 controllers were connected. My support intercepted the
3270 channel program ... and converted to datastream which was written
to the memory of one of the remote A510s ... where it was then directly
executed.  The channel program sequence was purely at the remote end w/o
needing constant back&forth to the mainframe memory ... with just the
necessary data transfer occuring (similar to the design point for
original fibre channel from the late 80s and similar to the way that
zHPF/TCW now works). similar configuration from old NSC marketing pitch
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/hyperlink.jpg

This drastically cuts the chatter & latency over the interface ... as
well as improving the throughput of the channel. The net was that the
300 from the IMS group didn't see any difference between small subsecond
response in STL and the response at the offsite bldg.

In this particular case there was a secondary side-effect. STL
datacenter convention had been to distribute the local 3270s
controlleres across all available channels, sharing them with disk
controllers. In turns out that local 3270s controllers have rather high
channel busy and were actually interferring with disk thruput. The
single A220 could do all the same operations of large number of 3270
controllers with significant lower channel busy (the exorbitant 3270
controller channel busy being moved to the remote site with the A510
channel emulators). The net here (moving the local 3270s off real
channels) was overall 10-15% improvement in system throughput.

3270 logon logo for IMS people at offsite bldg:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/vmhyper.jpg

tried to then get the software support released to customers ... but
there was group in POK playing with some fiber stuff and they were
worried that my software would interfer with getting their stuff
released ... so they got it block ... their stuff eventually is released
as ESCON.

recent posts mentioning the effort:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2012c.html#23 M68k add to memory is not a mistake
any more