> We're talking about an end of task/AS resource manager module. I would have
> expected this module to be placed in LPA not LinkLib. After all, it is loaded
> for each terminating task.
The ADCD developers in their infinite wisdom decided to put an obsolete usermod
into ADCD.*.linklib.

> Without the possibility to check anything on the old system, it is very
> difficult to prove the real cause. Anyway, I dare to say that if only a
> superuser can traverse any path in the file system, then the only meaningful
> explanation is that the root directory has the permission wrong, e.g. 700.
Again, I blame the ADCD developers if they give out a system like that. But I
think the root is defined right:
EUID=5001   /
  Type  Perm  Permission  Changed-CST6CDT   Owner      ------Size  Filename
_ Dir    755   rwxr-xr-x  2012-12-17 04:23  OMVSUS2          8192  .
_ Dir    755   rwxr-xr-x  2012-12-17 04:23  OMVSUS2          8192  ..
_ Dir    755   rwxr-xr-x  2011-11-03 08:56  OMVSUS2          8192  ...
OMVSUS2 is uid(0).

> >That is a design change between 1.10 and 1.13.
> No, not at all. This has always been so.
It was certainly different on the 1.10 system. I explicitly tested this on the
1.10 system because it took me a while to understand. And yes, I did read the
book. And the root display at 1.10 looked identical to this one. In the 1.10
system permissions for the mount point did not change after I had mounted an
HFS.

> You should really make sure you're z/OS UNIX is setup correctly.
Sorry Peter, you're barking up the wrong tree. I agree, it should be set up
correctly. But this is a productive system and I have no way of testing in a
safe environment, so now that 'everything works' I will not change things and
possibly break something. The 'correct setup' should have come with the ADCD
system. But judging from the things alone that I found, the delivered ADCD
setup breaks just about every best practise IBM spend money to propagate.

>Again, the above mentioned books is worth reading.
I did read. Admittedly, mostly the relevant parts in a bid to understand why
things didn't work anymore. That's how I determined that I need to delete the
BPX.DAEMON profile to make ftp work again. Asking about it here (and eventually
finding where DFSMRCL0 is located) helped me when I had to get RDz running.
Which insisted on a program-controlled environment despite BPX.DAEMON not being
defined. According to the books and your explanation, the need for a
program-controlled environment should not have been there. This was true for
ftp, but not for RDz.

> I understand that an MVS guy or girl may hate UNIX but, there is no way
> around getting a thorough understanding of it. It has long become an integral
> part of z/OS. Both, the above mentioned manual, and the corresponding User's
> Guide can help.
I already know more about UNIX than I ever wanted to know. And believe me, I do
read the books IBM provides. I still hate it because it feels fairly
inconsistent.

In any case, have a happy new year!
Barbara