Mark,

> Until this thread, I didn't realize that anyone used ADCD for "production"
> systems.   I know
> developers / small ISVs used it.   I know an ISV's system is "production" to
> then, but
> that's not what I am referring to.

For small ISVs it is prohibitively expensive to have their own z/OS. It is even
expensive to get an RDT or z/PDT system due to the licence costs per year. And
running Hercules is a clear violation of licence agreements.
Not to mention that developers/small ISVs normally don't have the
manpower/knowledge to install z/OS and customize it. Which means we use an ADCD
distribution (with all the drawbacks this entails to a sysprog). Now that I
have seen what an ADCD system looks like I am not surprised anymore about some
of the questions about z/OS on this list and about the installation
instructions for products developed on an ADCD system.
But yes, to an ISV it is most certainly production, especially during cutoff
time for a new release.

>My client uses RDz also, but the system(s) they use it on are still part of a
>production sysplex
running production online and batch applications with high availability SLAs.
Well, our ADCD system is a monoplex. With sometimes really bad response times
due to the amount of MSU we get (all of 4). There is no way to start an
application that is heavily into USS/Java. RDz takes a while to come up, but at
least it does come up in a timely fashion.

Barbara