I think your the one missing the point. I can't remember the last time I had to write a macro as I can do the things I need just using commands.

On 28/01/2021 2:24 pm, Seymour J Metz wrote:
You're missing the point. A good macro facility makes it easy to extend the
editor and add feature that the designers never thought of. The edit macro that
I posted was intended to be an example of that. Were I familiar with emacs I
would have written an emacs macro in LISP, but the point would have been the
same.  If I'm going to learn a *ix editor, why would I bother with an editor
without the ability to write macros when editors like emacs are available? Why
do you assume that an ISPF clone on a PC is limited to what is possible on a
3270?

Just because you don't understand why people like ISPF doesn't mean that "It comes
down to familiarity and a reluctance to invest time to learn new things"; it
doesn't. Maybe they know something you don't know.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
David Crayford [dcrayf...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 11:18 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: ISPF for mainframe Linux

A REXX edit macro, that's great! In Vim I can position my cursor over a
function or keyword and press 'gd' to goto the defintion. It also has
plugins for code completion etc. All of this in a TUI. Intellij IDEA
is so advanced that it lints code while you type and flags problems. Use
a keyboard shortcut and it refactors the code. One of the most useful
features in modern editors is multiple cursors.
This is achieved in Vim using visual block mode. ISPF has no equivalent
and never will as 3270 is a half-duplex protocol. I'm not knocking ISPF.
I use it all the time. I would much rather use the
SDSF ISPF UI as opposed to of the z/OSMF GUI. The command line is more
efficient. But when it comes to editors, ISPF does not shine brightly.
It's incredibly limited which is why I don't understand
why people want to use the likes of SPF-PC to emulate ISPF on other
platforms when the native tools are so much better. It comes down to
familiarity and a reluctance to invest time to learn new things.
That's a fact and many of my colleagues openly admit it. They've reached
a stage in their career where they simply have no desire to change the
way they work.