Back then, we had a 2-processor machine. It had to support multiple CICS test regions along with the TSO users and batch. Online compiles were not allowed because TSO was for short-running transactions with plenty of think time. Tieing up your (possibly shared) terminal (and not doing anything else while it ran) was a huge waste of precious resources (machine and human). It was more cost-effective to do good desk checking and compile in batch. With much cheaper (relatively) machines, letting the computer do the debugging is the better choice now.