I use Intellij IDEs which lint as you type. CLion for C/C++ is next level to any other editor I've ever used. JetBrains tooling is amazing but expensive. Luckily my employer pays! There is the clangd daemon that basically compiles in the background as you type code and picks up errors. I use Vim as well which can be configured to use clangd.

I would dread to have to go back to using the ISPF editor.

On 19/08/2021 2:27 am, Charles Mills wrote:
When I started in this business you got one compile turn a night. Omit a comma?
Cost you 24 hours. Better to spend hours desk-checking. I prided myself on my
ability to desk-check.

Now I do most of my compiles on my desktop and so I have gotten very cavalier about
"let the compiler find the errors." I will change a variable name in the field
definition, compile, and then just go fix the statements that are now in error. (Assuming
some situation where a global replace does not make sense.) Also of course works better
for a more rigorously compile-time-checked language than it would for assembler.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tom Brennan
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2021 10:41 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: even an old mainframer can do it

Good to hear!  During that time one of my other supervisors/teachers
would tell me about her application experience.  She said no matter how
complex her COBOL programs were, they would not only compile first time
but would run perfectly.  This of course was due to her rigorous
desk-checking which I assume took days.

I remember thinking "that's crazy" but I just kept quiet.  I'll give her
a break because that could have been at the time of card punching where
such desk-checking made far more sense.