Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:50:25 -0400, John Eells wrote:

Keith Smith wrote:
In my experience password phrase must be at least 14 characters.

By default, that's true.  But you can allow it in an ICHPWX11 exit if
you choose to (and there is a sample exit and accompanying REXX exec
that runs under SYSREXX).

So, 8, 7, 6, ...?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. ICHPWX11 can enable password "phrases" 9-11 characters in length. Searching for the exit by name quickly leads to more information about it in our books.

This is something that should be configurable to site requirements
short of the need for an exit.

I think it's safe to say that while the developers agree with you, and while they did consider that at design time, "sins of the past" (more accurately, development choices made many moons ago that seemed sound at the time) precluded doing so in a way they found acceptable. Sorry, but I won't elaborate.

But I suspect that most sites will implement the exit at the behest of
security wonks who insist that each password (phrase) must contain
majuscule, minuscule, numeric, at least one vowel with an umlaut,
and at least one ligature.

You forgot "at least one special character" and "at least one space" (smile).

Correct horse battery staple.

It's with some degree of trepidation that I say...eh?  I don't follow.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing