Kirk Wolf wrote:

> Sorry, I agree that the entirety of what you wrote was more balanced.   I
reacted (poorly) to this part:

"Same with open source: using random code from an  unknown author would have
been unthinkable; now it's common."

>I don't think that this is common.   Mostly projects use popular open
source projects.  Most of these have a history, many contributors, test
suites, etc.

Sure, that was a bit hyperbolic, though by "unknown" I do mean
that-typically they're not known quantities like employees (theoretically*)
are. Hans Reiser, anyone?

>What was shocking about the LOG4J vulnerability was that is was one of
these.

Indeed.

Glad we could agree we aren't really disagreeing!

...phsiii

*Scott Tyree, anyone? Yeah, he was at Sterling and then CA when I was there.