On 29/1/22 12:53 am, Phil Smith III wrote:
pipeline every time we merge into our development branch or master.
I know YOU know this, David, but it bears stating explicitly: none of these
tools would (did) detect the log4j vuln.

I'm cognizant to that. Humans find vulnerabilities. In the case of log4shell it was a security researcher at Alibaba who then reported it to Apache. In the case of Shellshock, Heartbeat, Meltdown, Spectre etc it was security researchers at google. Big tech offer bounties to anybody who finds vulnerabilities in their products. As soon as a 0day is found, it is reported to the maintainer and then logged in the CVE database and disclosed to the world. Compare this to IBM who have typically corporate disclosure rules. A case in point is IBM rejecting a 0Day disclosure which they said was "out of scope" with their disclosure rules and then did a U-turn and blamed a process error. https://techmonitor.ai/techonology/cybersecurity/ibms-data-risk-manager

ITschak is of the opinion that the mainframe is less secure because of the use of open source software. I would argue that a lot of Enterprise software is just as vulnerable. And in a lot of cases more vulnerable because it is closed source doesn't have as many eyes scrutinizing it. Others may have the opposite opinion.