https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspersky_bans_and_allegations_of_Russian_government_ties

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tom Brennan
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2022 8:46 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Country of development was Re: More of LOG4J

On 1/27/2022 6:03 PM, Clark Morris wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2022 12:35:59 -0800, Tom Brennan
> <t...@tombrennansoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> Those are things we don't like to talk about :)  And even less talked
>> about: What's to stop a trusted ISV or even IBM from being hacked or
>> having a rogue employee that does the same?
>
> Does the country where the software is developed matter?  In most
> countries, the citizen is required to place nation above employer.

One that comes to mind is Eugene Kaspersky, who (if I remember
correctly) used to post in shareware newgroups I was involved with in
the late 1990's.  Super smart guy, and his company almost always
discovered and mitigated PC viruses well prior to Norton, McAfee, and
the others.  Regardless, I think the USA banned his software on
government computers, I assume with no evidence other than the country
of origin.