From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Charles Mills [charl...@mcn.org]
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2022 6:17 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Trying to understand SMF30_RAXFLAGS

You're right of course. Other systems count bits the other direction. You
can make an argument for either approach.

- 0 as the high bit corresponds to how we generally represent binary
integers, with the high order bit on the left.
- 0 as the low bit gives you consistency across 8, 16, 32 and 64 bit
operands, and makes the bit numbers correspond to powers of 2.

Charles