From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Andrew Rowley [and...@blackhillsoftware.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2022 8:23 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Mark your calendars for July 10, 2022 - CustomPac intended removal
date

On 19/05/2022 5:50 pm, Timothy Sipples wrote:
> That’s even more difficult to characterize, but (eyeballing it) 1000X
> must be too high.

Maybe... it's hard to find a good comparison over that length of time.
But a Multiprise 2000 is in the original Pentium era.

A $1500 Lenovo boasts an Intel i7 with 8 cores/16 threads. If 8 cores
gives e.g. 5x throughput, it only has to achieve 200x the single CPU
speed of a 1996 Pentium for 1000x increase overall. It might not be
1000X but it must be close.

> Having a zIIP gives you plenty of horsepower for z/OSMF, and having an IBM
> z15 gives you System Recovery Boost which gives you…plenty of horsepower for
> z/OSMF at least during the first 60 minutes. (It’s the z/OSMF startup that
> can take a long time on a low capacity configuration.

I wouldn't be surprised if once people start using z/OSMF, it's not just
the startup that is slow on a small system. Maybe IBM should give
everyone one zIIP with their z/OS 2.5 license... it might even be a
useful stimulus for smaller z/OS sites.

--
Andrew Rowley
Black Hill Software