FORTRAN used numeric statement labels on the left as reference points, but these were not "sequence" numbers, as there was no semantic requirement to have statements ordered by numeric label or to have any predictable increment among statement numbers. Typical coding standards, where they existed, usually mandated some semblance of order is use of statement labels, but that was for benefit of human readers, not the compiler. I'm not sure about the latest flavors of free-format FORTRAN, but at least through FORTRAN IV, columns 73-80 of each input record were reserved for sequence numbers
    J C  Ewing