Nothing to do with mainframe machines per se, but at various jobs I was
assigned to second shift and found it suited me to the ground.  I could sleep
late, get up and get a leisurely lunch, wander off to work, work until late (I
was always a night owl), then come back to my hotel room and watch TV for a
while before going to bed when I felt like it.  The only thing I missed was
prime-time TV, and I didn't miss it much.

I had a contract once with Bell Atlantic (this was back after Ma Bell was
broken up but before competition took over) and because I typically worked late
anyway they asked me to switch my hours and attend a daily software meeting on
behalf of the department; I didn't have much to say, but I could listen and
take notes and record any questions my boss would have to answer.  It was a
large meeting, with thirty or forty attendants crowding into the meeting room
and a few dozen more calling in by phone, and the guy who ran the meeting was a
master at keeping things on track and on-topic.  Started at eighteen-something
and ran for an hour or so.  So I'd show up for work around eleven, stay until
midnight or so, and relax the rest of the time.  Not a very stressful job.

---

/* Keep clear of concealment -- keep clear of the need of concealment.  It is
an awful hour when the first necessity of hiding something comes.  The whole
life is different thenceforth.  When there are questions to be feared and eyes
to be avoided and subjects which must not be touched, the bloom of life is
gone.  -Phillips Brooks (1835-1893) */