From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2022 5:47 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Markup languages

Either in this forum or in another I hang out in - I'm not sure which - a few
months I remember a few comments about good ways to write extensive
documentation.  Somewhat to my surprise, quite a few people panned MS Word and
Publisher and said the way to go is a good markup language.  That's kind of
nice to hear, because I’m having trouble with Word, especially when I want to
add or change new appendices to my current work.  At the time I thought I was
mostly finished and didn't want to go through it all again, but now that fond
wish seems less probable and I'm thinking maybe I should listen again to the
recommendations I heard then and try out a few of them.

By "extensive", in my case I mean something that can let me set the format for
chapters and appendices and say half a dozen levels of paragraph headers, using
legal paragraph numbering (ie 1, 1.1, 1.1.1 etc), lots of internal
cross-references and maybe an external URL or three, a table of contents ...
let's see ... probably not an index.  What I imagine is that I would copy the
text already written, insert the text markup tags, "compile" the results into
Word or a PDF, and feel free to add cross references, paragraphs and appendices
and recompile at any point thereafter.  The documentation user needn't be aware
of this process.

Anyone care to tell me again what they like for this task, please and thank you?

---

/* It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him
from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.  -Martin Luther King, Jr
*/