From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Jeremy Nicoll [jn.ls.mfrm...@letterboxes.org]
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2022 3:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Markup languages

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022, at 17:36, David Spiegel wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
> CBT Files 280-287 (cbttape.org)

Thank-you!

At last, a compelling reason to install Hercules and some ancient
version of VM (not used that for real since 1985 or so, though),
or - since I see the CBT tapes mention a TSO command processor
and a "prompter" for Waterloo Script - maybe (since I have a lot
more MVS experience than VM) Hercules and one of the MVS38J
systems.

I'll add that to my long list of things to do when I have the time
and energy to attempt it.

I have also contemplated learning PostScript ...   A few years ago
there was a discussion on a Debian mail list (I've never used any
form of linux system except for a live CD one to rescue files from
a corrupt disk, but I lurk on various mail-lists looking for interesting
discussions)...

In this case it was about software for preparing drawings for
house changes etc.  Various people commented that they found
GUI applications really hard to learn just enough to prepare a
single set of plans.

Someone commented that they had prepared plans for a building
project using PS; I managed to get a copy of that - just 800 lines
of code in a plain text file ... which - when opened in a PDF/PS
viewer - produces a 4-page building plan.

I am quite sure that working out how the 800 lines produce that
would be a lot less hard than learning a GUI system, not least
because one can embed comments in the PS explaining why one
is doing something in a particular way.

What's more, I thought I could probably write some nifty rexx to
produce PS, if I ever decided to use this approach myself.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.