It's been a while since I mentioned this, but some years ago my oldest son got
his fill of hearing me talk about the vanishing mainframers and wondered
whether he should get me to teach him some of the basics.  I started asking
around, wanting to know how much it would cost me to rent a little space on a
z/OS system, enough for two IDs for enough time for him to know whether he
hated it.

Apparently my questions got around.  About three weeks after I started asking,
an IBM guy called me and made me an offer:  If I could get my local college to
start some mainframe classes, the college would need to rent an LPAR and IBM
would ~give~ me space on that machine.

I graduated from UNC-Greensboro, but I'd learned PL/1 there and I suppose they
still had some mainframe classes.  I'd worked two years at A&T, so I called
them.  I was unable to get anyone interested, as I recall.  Seems a shame.
Heck, at the time I would probably have been willing to ~teach~ one or two of
the classes; I like training.  But I never forgot what the IBMer told me, that
businesses are so eager for mainframe skills that they often sponsor college
classes with their own money.

David Spiegel, how would you define "too late"?  I don't see that ever coming,
at least not from that particular piece of short-sidedness.

---

/* My goal for 2023 is to lose 10 lbs.  Only 15 more to go! */