From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Rick Troth [tro...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 2, 2023 9:10 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Mainframe REXX (Re: Badmouthing Rexx and ooRexx - again (Re: zOSMF
and zOWE for non-mainframers

On 3/2/23 05:49, David Crayford wrote:
> I think 99% of the folks on this forum want a language that can run in
> a TSO/ISPF environment hosted in PDS data sets. Lua can do that and
> it's orders of magnitudes faster then REXX with the advantage of
> package management. The next gen guys don't use TSO/ISPF and they're
> going to use Python and couldn't give a hoot about NetRexx.

Lua is great. (Got a link to the MVS version of it?)
But language-centric ecosystems not so much. (everything from PIP to Maven)

We've lost the concept of inter-language calls.
With increasing numbers of new and amazing languages, we seem to be LESS
able to choose and use the right language for the function.

-- R; <><