Thanks all. Attempting to reply to everyone in one note so as not to add to the
noise.

@Gil:
> 8 seconds after the source.  That's astonishing if it's a system header.

It is a user header. They are both uploaded more or less at the same time, with
FileZilla, which I think sets a new timestamp rather than preserving the old
(at least by default).

@David:
> Looks like a but with XL C++. I would open a case with IBM

Alas, I am but a red-headed stepchild. Dallas and PDT customers cannot even
search APARs (which makes NO sense to me) much less open cases.

If some kind soul wanted to look for an APAR that would be much appreciated.
z/OS V2R5. 5650-ZOS

Also I tried moving the char[] before any #includes. No better. (It can't be
the very first line of the program because there are #pragma RUNOPTS that have
to be before any C code.)

Charles