Mostly the same CCW opcodes. ECKD added some and a few obsolete ones are gone.
Of course, FBA and FCP are new.

Physical volumes are another matter - he's dead, Jim.

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Grant Taylor <0000023065957af1-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2023 10:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Definition of mainframe? Was: Ars Technica

On 7/31/23 12:45 PM, Colin Paice wrote:
> A volume is a convenient picture - they no longer exist on modern DASD.

ACK

My limited understanding is that the S/360 or S/370 would probably not
recognize anything in use today as DASD.  The S/390 /might/ see
something that vaguely reminds it of DASD through ESCON / FICON.

It seems as if things are significant numbers of layers of abstraction
and emulation.

> Data is spread across many different PC sized disks.

Yep.

It's amazing if not mind blowing what can be done with abstraction and
virtualization of storage.

> We have extended volumes which are bigger than traditional volumes.
> It gives more space for the same number of volumes.

:-)

> A "track" is mapped to one PC sized disk, and block on disk..
> If you rewrite a track it will most probably go to a different
> PC disk.  In the storage controller there is a big array which has
> VOLID.CYL.Track -> pcdisk.position.

I'm not unpacking and scrutinizing that based on your "Some of the above
is not true" comment.

> I can "copy a dataset" on the same DASD subsystem just by copying
> the relevant bits of this array.  So if we have part of dataset1
> USER00.00.01 -> PCDISK1. 4000  the copy creates USER99.4002.12 ->
> PCDISK1.4000.  This copy takes a second or so.  There is no data
> transfer.  If you update dataset1, then its VOLID.CYL.track will
> point to a new block, and so the arrays diverge.

This sounds like what I generally hear referred to as "copy on write"
and is frequent enough that it's abbreviated as C.O.W. and multiple
things support this, one even with COW in the file name.

> If we copy the dataset to a different DASD subsystem - then every block
> will be read - and written to the other subsystem.

Yep.

> Some of the above is not true - but it gives the picture.

;-)

Grant. . . .