On 8/1/23 2:49 AM, Colin Paice wrote:
Your Copy on Write - may be what I know as dual write - where you write to different volumes - usually on different dasd subsystems, so if you lose one dasd subsystem - the data is available on another.

Nope. "Copy on Write" is explicitly what you were previously describing where in multiple references to the data had the same singular copy of the data in the back-end and and things are copied only when one of the references to the data changes the data. As long as COW instances use the exact same data, as in base OS data sets from the same OS version, then there's only the single instance, independent of how many references to it there are.

I see writing to multiple drives in parallel -- from an OS / software level -- referred to as software RAID / mirroring.

COW and RAID (mirroring) are different things meant to serve different purposes.

You can have synchronous write - used in same "site" and async - where the remote end is miles away. This is used for media failure.

Yes. Emphasis on /media/ failure. This does nothing for /data/ failure, e.g. corruption / malicious activity.

Traditional offline backups address both /media/ failure and /data/ failure.

Note. This is not a backup. If you delete the dataset, both copies will be deleted.

needMOREcoffee We seem to be thinking very similar things but typing at different times.

I was talking about what I think is called snapshot.  It is used like

1- Issue Snapshot copy (of your database) - this takes a couple of seconds or less.

I usually see snapshots created a couple of different ways:

1) The older way was to pause things and take an actual copy. This was slower and took quite a while O(minutes ~> hours).

2) The newer way seems to be some sort of -- what I would call -- COW system where changes to parts of the storage are written to a new location and access to the primary / live interface reflect the new data. Conversely the snapshot interface reflects the old data from the point in time the snapshot was made. This is faster and takes much less time O(seconds).

The gory details of how it's done are implementation specific.

2- Backup this copy - it may take a couple of hours to read from the DASD subsystem, and write to perhaps Virtual Tape.

Agreed.

3- The original data set continues to be updated, whereas the copy does not change, so you have point of time consistency

Agreed.

4- You can restore to the point of time, and for products like DB2 and MQ, read the logs and reapply all of the updates.

I think I agree though I will say that depending on how the snapshot was taken and if the higher level applications are aware of the snapshot and quiesced in support of the snapshot may make the difference between a "crash consistent" snapshot / copy and a "suspend consistent" snapshot. This type of consistency and how the applications roll forward here from gets interesting and tricky.

But, even a crash consistency snapshot is almost always more current and easier to recover than a cold backup from hours / days ago. Or at least looses less data / is more fresh / less effort to bring back current.

Grant. . . .