Mostly true.

Except when I was leaving my first job at IBM/Poughkeepsie (IBM was great place to start career, but I hated
rural POK having grown up and attended college in New York City) I told recruiters to focus on NY and Boston,
where I had friends and relatives. A recruiter who didn't follow my instructions asked, "How about
Washington?". "Sure", I said, "I have relatives there, have enjoyed visiting". So I
came to DC area to work at Mitre, spent rest of my life/career here.

Robert Frost:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

So I forgave him.

...and regarding a point someone else made, once my IBM manager determined that
I was going to an IBM customer, not competitor, I was able to work through the
long notice I'd given to stop my manager from continuing to try to find a
transfer for me.

Funny, as I was leaving, more than one person said that was a great career move
-- go work for a customer or two, then come back with real-world
knowledge/skills, which were too scarce at IBM. I did the first part but forgot
to return.

Grant Taylor<gtay...@tnetconsulting.net>