> The certificate is only good if you have the associated key.

> If you don't have the key, the certificate isn't worth the disk space
> that it takes up.

Not true for a CA root.

Thought experiment: if DigiCert were to misplace their root private key, would
you now be unable to log into amazon.com? (There would be very disruptive
long-term implications, but things would continue to work in the medium term
even without the private key.)

The private key is necessary to be able to *issue* certificates. Tom's
scenario, while it may have some other shortcomings, would work exactly as Tom
supposes.

Charles-