>(paid for), and I think that means a manual process to update the HMC
>web cert/key every year.  Or is there an easier way?

I don't know. I am more of a certificate theory expert than a z certificate
practice expert.

It is true that no commercial CA issues certificates good for much more than
one year. (Their Web sites may talk about their two-year and five-year plans,
but trust me, the certificates are only good for 13 months.)

It does sound like a PITA.

https://letsencrypt.org/ provides free automated "real CA" certificates. IIRC
they only support requests made using the "ACME" automation protocol. Will the
HMC support that?

Charles