On 8/29/23 6:39 PM, Tom Brennan wrote:
It's those last couple of steps that I assume would need to be done manually on an HMC via GUI.

I have no idea if IBM offers a supported solution or not.

I would waver that there are some unsupported solutions that IBM would wag a finger at you for doing. But who's going to do that on a piece of equipment supporting a mainframe?

The three things that come to mind in the order of most benign to most radical are:

- Script interactions across the HTTP(S) ports pretending to be a user walking through the motions with the necessary GET / POST / etc. method calls.

- Enable -- what I assume is unsupported SSH access to an HMC and remotely run commands to manage certificates.

- Really throw caution to the wind and install an ACME client on the HMC and get it some sort of Internet connectivity (likely via proxy).

The first is probably the only thing that IBM would say doesn't invalidate support / warranty.

Or maybe IBM has addressed this and provides an API or similar?

I hope so.  But I'm not holding my breath.

I never asked, possibly because every HMC I've ever touched, whether mainframe or peripheral, came up with a self-signed key warning.

Ya....  Pardon while I go over into a corner and cry.

But in their defense, most are only accessible in the datacenter or behind a difficult-to-access jump box.

I've had the broken TLS cert cause problems, particularly when Java gets involved.

I've found it far better to make the client system be as happy with the cert as possible usually yields the best / most long term results.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die