I looked at letsencrypt and zerossl and decided on zero because I liked the support, the 1 year certs, and their API. The API supports ACME but hey, I call myself a programmer so I rolled my own. I use their email authentication through an automated method I created, but they do have DNS record authentication too. And of course a script runs on my server to put the new certs in place and reload httpd.

It's those last couple of steps that I assume would need to be done manually on an HMC via GUI. Or maybe IBM has addressed this and provides an API or similar? I never asked, possibly because every HMC I've ever touched, whether mainframe or peripheral, came up with a self-signed key warning. But in their defense, most are only accessible in the datacenter or behind a difficult-to-access jump box.