From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Steve Thompson
Sent: Thursday, September 7, 2023 9:24 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [EXT] Re: Is the IBM Assembler List still alive - Dumps - Early days

You ever work with WYLBUR?

Single address space, keeping users from crossing boundaries (RACF, ACF2, Top
Secret and WACF). Could edit a library with RECFM=U. So one could keep source
there if they wanted. Would, on close compress the PDS to a single extent if it
could.

Used very low level interfaces for allocation, such that SMS would not even see
the file get opened or closed. So I had to finish fixing that so that in an SMS
environment, that interface could be turned off (in testing we found we could
cause MVS to have to be re-ipled), and then we used SVC99 for all allocations
after that (SVC99 takes a lot of resources as I recall).

Had its own scripting language, so applications were written to run inside of
Wylbur. With the SRB mode, we could read JES2 spool directly (this was a
problem, that I was going to fix when I got to implementing SAF.... sigh.)

I have forgotten all the stuff that Wylbur did with stack processing, and all
so it could handle 250 simultaneous users in one address space.

That was another thing I needed to fix. I needed to change Wylbur Paging to use
a larger number of pages to accommodate more users.
(yes, it did its own paging, and interestingly enough, CICS was following along
with what we did so that CICS/TS was doing what we had just done with task
management).

I absolutely loved working on Wylbur, best job I ever had after Amdahl MDF.

Steve Thompson