From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Tom Brennan
Sent: 24 January 2024 08:49
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Encryption and decryption - processor or TCPIP

Woah... right now I'm only about 1000 miles from Timothy so I get to see his

So Timothy (and probably just for me), I've seen a couple of sites without
crypto HSM cards not bother to run ICSF.  Can I assume in that case there's
pretty-much no way any encryption processing could be using CPACF?

On 1/24/2024 12:29 AM, Timothy Sipples wrote:
> Peter wrote:
>> I have a general question here. When you don't have crypto processor,
>> So when a ATTLS traffic is enabled does the encryption and decryption
>> handled by Started task TCPIP or the general processor?
>
> I've seen some of the follow-up messages, and it seems like you're trying
to troubleshoot a performance/throughput-related issue. Or at least you'd
like to understand what changed, why you may be observing an elongation in
your transaction times from CICS's perspective.

> "Crypto processor" could refer to the CP Assist for Cryptographic
Functions (CPACF) or to the IBM Crypto Express hardware security modules
(HSMs). CPACF is an integral part of every main processor that's on every
modern IBM Z and all IBM LinuxONE machine models. You need to have Feature
Code 3863 installed to enable CPACF's full set of cryptographic algorithms.
So just make sure that feature code is installed on all your machines. CPACF
is an integral part of your main processors that supports additional
instructions that accelerate lots of cryptographic operations.

> IBM Crypto Express HSMs are optional (but strongly recommended!)
> features that are installed as cards in your IBM Z or IBM LinuxONE
> server's PCI slots. In recent models there are two variants of the IBM
> Crypto Express cards: "single port" and "dual port." Dual port means
> that there are two physical HSMs per card. It's simply a higher
> density card that allows you to support more HSM domains and modes
> within a smaller physical space, analogous to the difference between a
> fully populated processor drawer and a partially populated one.
> Whether you get the single port or dual port variant (or some of
> both), their role is to protect secrets, especially private encryption
> keys. They have their own onboard processors to execute cryptographic
> operations, and you need them to move beyond "clear key" cryptography.
> Clear key cryptography means your private encryption keys inhabit main
> memory, the same memory that the operating system, middleware, and
> applications inhabit. Conceivably that memory could be accessed - via
> a dump that hasn't been redacted, for example - to obtain the private
> keys. The vast majority of non-IBM Z/LinuxONE systems that support TLS
> are operating with clear key, but "we can do better." And we do:
> Crypto Express facilitates protected key and secure key operations.
> Get them, use them, love them. :-)
>
> But let's leave that HSM point aside for the moment and just focus on z/OS
AT-TLS and what you may be observing. If you're actually seeing longer
transaction times - if you've got reasonable evidence this one change
(changing an unencrypted connection to a TLS encrypted connection) made the
difference - then there are likely one or two basic reasons why. One likely
reason is that you're not getting a good match between z/OS AT-TLS and
CPACF. That is, z/OS AT-TLS (and specifically the z/OS System SSL component
that AT-TLS uses) isn't exploiting CPACF as much as it could. For example,
AT-TLS and the other party to the network connection may have mutually
negotiated a cipher suite that's less than ideal for CPACF exploitation.
Generally you should "encourage" (or even require) one of the AES GCM cipher
suites, and you can do that by configuring AT-TLS to prefer certain cipher
suites and outright reject several. And of course you should use only TLS
1.2 or higher, with weak cipher suites disabled. So... check your cipher
suite(s).

> Next, do you have the appropriate software levels that can exploit CPACF
well on your machine? ICSF and System SSL are quite important, so check
those levels especially. Do you see newer releases (or PTFs) with better
CPACF exploitation? Get them on if you can. There are some tools and traces
you can use to figure out how much CPACF exploitation you're getting.

> Finally, you could be observing the natural effects of non-persistent TLS
connections. When you establish a new TLS connection there's an initial
handshake, a negotiation that takes place to establish the secure connection
before the two systems exchange real data. If you're comparing
non-persistent TLS connections to unencrypted connections then you should
see double the number of network roundtrips: one set of roundtrips to
establish the TLS connection, then the real data-bearing roundtrips over the
TLS connection. And these extra hops may be OK! It may be just the "cost of
doing business" when you turn on TLS to secure your network connections.
Non-persistent TLS connections are not much of a direct processor
utilization concern if you've got CPACF instructions exploited well, but it
may be a latency concern. Greater latency, in turn, could have some
secondary processor utilization effects.

> If you're concerned about the extra network roundtrips that TLS
handshaking requires then you can check whether you can establish persistent
connections instead. And a persistent connection could be TLS, IPSec/IKEv2,
or a SSH tunnel. Another possible option is to relocate the other party
closer (in network latency terms) to z/OS AT-TLS. Let's suppose for example
you're connecting from CICS to an OpenLDAP server running on another machine
in another data center. You could install, configure, and run an instance of
OpenLDAP on the z/OS Container Extensions (zCX) within the same LPAR running
your CICS transactions. That z/OS-hosted OpenLDAP server can replicate with
other OpenLDAP servers elsewhere so that it's kept in sync. And then your
CICS application has a much shorter, much lower latency network path because
it can connect to the local OpenLDAP instance inside the same LPAR.

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN