Even though you don't have a crypto processor, do you have CPACF on the box? Most machines I've seen do, because it's a no-charge feature. I don't know for sure, but I thought I heard that you can start ICSF without a crypto card and it will use CPACF for some of the heavier encryption processing (maybe like generating prime numbers) and save individual tasks some CP time.

That's just my old theory though, from back in 2015 when I saw a situation similar to what you describe. But it was a client machine where I didn't have the ability to try things out. I'd sure like to hear more from someone more experienced in this area.