From: John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/OS subroutine in assembler, used in both batch & CICS , making
re-entrant
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 09:28:15 -0500

It is generally not valid to do z/OS system services, such as PCs or SVCs,
in a CICS application program. Some things will work. Other things will
abend. A few things might corrupt CICS. There is a CICS equivalent to the
GETMAIN, but it is not usable in batch. And I _must_ have only a single
version of the source. If I didn't that would make things "too complicated"
for the programmers and would be a "disruptive" change.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 08:15:46 -0500, John McKown wrote:
> >
> >I don't know why the binder requires
> >the RENT parameter to mark a program object as RENT if all the input
> CSECTs
> >are COBOL which is compiled with the RENT compiler option. Maybe somebody
> >could explain? Nobody here really understands CA-Endevor.
> >
> Is there any way that compiler output can be marked RENT?  I thought
> that option was available only on load modules.
>
> If I knew CICS at all, would it be obvious to me why you don't simply
> GETMAIN (whatever) a 72-byte save area?
>
> -- gil

This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown