On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 15:53:01 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 15:35:49 -0500, Tom Marchant wrote:
>>
>>IMO if a vendor doesn't do their SMP/E packaging correctly,
>>it is better that they not bother.
>>
>Where can I find some Rules of Thumb; an SMP/E style checker?

I'm not aware of either.  There is the Packaging Rules manual, but there is
much that
is not covered there.  It is focused primarily on correct SYSMOD construction.
Some
other considerations for what I would call proper SMP/E packaging include:

o Providing useful system holds as necessary
o Using Fix Categories and SOURCEID to simplify maintenance
o Providing frequently updated downloadable Enhanced Hold data for errors
o Proper SUPs for error holds when a PTF resolves the error
o Having a data base of APARs and PTFs that customers can search
o Cross-product dependencies (IF...REQ) where applicable
o It should NEVER be recommended that a customer use BYPASS(ID) or BYPASS(REQ)
o Network delivery for products and service

The products and maintenance should be thoroughly tested.  In order for the
testing to be
thorough, many permutations need to be tested.  Most PTFs should be able to be
applied,
restored and applied again without issues.

This is not likely an exhaustive list.

--
Tom Marchant