On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 09:08:12 -0700, Ed Jaffe wrote:

>A customer (mildly) complained thatsome of our product allocations still
>use BLKSIZE=3120. I vaguely remember trying to change all of them to
>BLKSIZE=0 many years ago (probably before OS/390) and running into some
>issues with certain IBM utilities. Unfortunately, I can't remember the
>specifics.
>
>In starting to revisit this again, I noticed numerousoccurrences of
>'3120' in IBM help and documentation. For example, the TSO/E RECEIVE
>command HELP claims that the log data set must be BLKSIZE=3120:

Is there any difference between explicitly specifying BLKSIZE=0 and
simply omitting BLKSIZE?  Except in COBOL?

A War Story:

Long prior to the advent of SDB, I had formed the habit of omitting
BLKSIZE in my Rexx EXECs.  The Rexx function library was smart:
it chose good BLKSIZEs and/or I didn't much care about fractional
deviations from absolute optimality.  And, for all I knew (and didn't
care) it adapted well to different device types.

Suddenly I started getting Sx13 in old debugged EXECs.  It seems
that Rexx had deferred BLKSIZE selection to SDB, and SDB was
doing a poorer job of selecting BLKSIZE than Rexx.  In fact, it was
(as then documented!) selecting BLKSIZE=80 for all subsystem data
sets (JES and UNIX).  RECFM=VBA,LRECL=137, BLKSIZE=80 worked
poorly.

But when I reported the problem, IBM had the fix at hand.  Worked.
But IBM warned me:

o The repair was designed for JES, and was not certain to work
  for UNIX files.  (Worked OK.)

o The repair necessarily violated the _published_ specification
  of BLKSIZE=80, and if another customer complained, it might
  be necessary to revert it.

o I was advised to stop deferring BLKSIZE and specify it explicitly
  in all my code.  Considerably ironic that a consequence of SDB
  was that I was advised not to rely on it.

(It's better now.)

Is there any hope that COBOL will come to trust SDB when
BLKSIZE is omitted, or would that necessarily entail a
standards violation?

-- gil